Business Licensing & Tax Department

Business Licensing

A business license and filing of business and occupations taxes are required of all businesses and vendors who operate or engage in business within the city limits of North Bend (NBMC 5.04). This includes home occupations, suppliers, contractors, and subcontractors.

Businesses located outside North Bend city limits, see municipal code for exemptions to licensing requirements: Business Licensing Ordinance 1670

Applying for a New Business License

The city partners with the Washington State Business Licensing Service to issue city business licenses. This combined licensing system allows the business owner to meet the local and state requirements with one transaction. A city license will be added to your State Master Business License as an addendum. City business licenses are renewed annually.

There are three ways to file the Business License Application and the city business license addendum:

  • File online, using your credit card. You can contact BLS at 360-705-6741. Filing online is the fastest method to apply because your application does not require mail delivery or the information to be inputted manually, which can save you a week or two in the registration process.
  • Complete the Business License Application and the city business license addendum, and mail with the appropriate fee (check or money order made out to the Department of Revenue) to:
    State of Washington
    Business Licensing Service
    P.O. Box 9034
    Olympia, WA 98507-9034
  • File in person at City Hall.
  • File at other business licensing locations.

You will receive your business license about four to six weeks after submitting your application.

Other North Bend Registration Requirements

  • If registering a business physically located in North Bend your license may be subject to zoning approved by the city’s Community and Economic Development Department.
  • Home-based businesses/home occupations must comply with the Special Rules for Home Occupation (PDF). By submitting a business license application for a home based business/home occupation, you are affirming that your business is in conformance to the Special Rules for Home Occupations.
  • NBMC 5.16 requires all peddlers, solicitors and transient merchants to obtain a Solicitors License with the city. Please contact City Hall for more information.

Business & Occupation Tax 
All businesses must file a business and occupation tax form. Taxes are reported on a monthly or quarterly basis, depending on the total gross receipts. For more detailed information, please refer to the flyer What You Should Know about Business and Occupation Taxes (PDF).

Certain businesses may also be subject to a Square Footage B&O tax. Additional information regarding this tax classification is provided in the Square Footage B&O Tax Information flyer (PDF).

Square Footage B&O Tax Form (PDF)
Certification of Vacancy Form (PDF)